Saturday, December 21, 2013

Bikejoring: Round 4



Tikaani:  Fourth time out wasn't that great, and I found myself getting frustrated which is not a state of mind one should have while training dogs.  Tikaani must have not been in the mood to run as he didn't go any faster than a slow trot and kept stopping to sniff or mark.  I'm thinking that I will for now I will take a few steps back with him and do some more training on foot.  Sadly, this means that there will be jogging in my future, which I'm not well coordinated for.  I will have to find something for Tikaani to drag while I try to encourage his speed and control his direction.  At the very least he's good with listening to turning commands so I won't have that issue to deal with. 

Titan:  He was a ball of excitement, saw me put my coat on and grab the harness, and he just wouldn't shut up until we were on the trail.  We started off good, he was running like a mad man and listened pretty well.  But halfway through, he started to see the puddles of melting snow and wanted nothing more than to drink from them.  With the water spigots dry for the season, and the puddles being unsafe to drink from, there wasn't anything for him to drink.  I really don't want him drinking when he still has to run afterwords, but may bring enough next time to wet his palate and keep his mind in the game.

Here's a video of Titan's run, with a little musical flair:


Overall, I think what really killed their desire to run was how warm these past 2 days were.  For the most part the day temperature has been in the mid 30s, but the last few days were in the mid 50s.  I was sweating at the end of each run, so I'm sure both dogs were feeling the same.  Will see if there is any improvement once the temperatures drop back down.  I also need to get a new bike or have this one fixed, the chain fell off of the pedal several times during Tikaani's run, which can be quite scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your own footprint